Africa is blessed, it is enclosed by an ever-flowing stream of water. The continent possesses a unique determination and border.
In the Northern axis, the Mediterranean sea marked its separation from the continent of Europe, in the northeastern axis, the Suez canal does the job of the separation of the continent from Asia. The Indian Ocean surrounds the African continent from the eastern and southeastern axis, while western Africa is proximate to the Atlantic ocean.
Africa has 54 independent countries. Egypt possesses the unique feature of being transcontinental, having some of its land in Asia, but it is African politically, being an African Union member. The biggest African country by size is Algeria, 7% of the African’s territory is occupied by the country. Seychelles takes the title of the smallest nation by size with its 115 beautiful islands scattered around the eastern part of the mainland coast. Seychelles prides itself as one of the most popular tourist destinations in relation to beach holidays. Morocco, a land of great beauty is the most popular tourist destination in Africa, South Africa, Egypt and Tunisia come second, third and fourth respectively.
Alphabetical list of countries in Africa
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic (CAR)
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Republic of the Congo
- Cote d’Ivoire
- Equatorial Guinea
- The Gambia
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Western Sahara
Top Facts about African countries
- Africa is the world’s second-largest continent, both in terms of population and size.
2. In Africa, Islam is the most widely practiced religion. Followed by Christianity. Arabic is still Africa’s most commonly spoken language.
3. In spite of being the world’s second-largest continent, Africa has the world’s shortest coastline.
4. Africa is the world’s most centrally located continent. It is split across by the prime meridian (0 degrees longitude) and the equator (0 degrees latitude).
5. Nigeria is Africa’s largest country by population (over 200 million people). This is equal to around 18% of Africa’s overall population.
6. Africa is home to the world’s tallest and largest land animals. These animals are namely the giraffe and the African elephant.
7. About 2,000 languages and dialects are being used in Africa, each with its own regional accents, with Arabic being the most popular language on the continent.
8. Africa has the longest river in the world, the Nile, and the largest desert in the world, the Sahara.
9. Algeria is Africa’s largest nation by land area.
10. Ethiopia, the hottest country in the world, is located in Africa.
11. For thousands of years, the continent’s terrain was inaccessible and mysterious, earning it the moniker “Dark Continent.”
12. Cheetah, lion, zebra, mongoose, elephant, giraffe, and addax are some of Africa’s most popular animals.
13. The Victoria Falls, situated on the border of Zimbabwe and Zambia, is Africa’s biggest waterfall. Its height is 355 feet, and the width of the waterfall is nearly a mile.
15. The continent is home to the majority of the world’s French-speaking people.
16. Angola has a greater Portuguese-speaking population than Portugal.
17. In Senegal, Africa, there is a pink river.