Are you interested in being abreast of the past and latest developments within the Nigerian polity? If yes, please read on. In this article, I will list out over 1500 Nigerian current affairs in 2023–2024. This article was designed for Nigerians who are expecting any written or oral interviews.
The importance of knowing Nigerian current affairs in 2021 to date cannot be overemphasised. An understanding of Nigerian current affairs will, aside from equipping you with the knowledge of passing those aptitude tests and interview questions, better position you to appreciate our past with the view of predicting the Nigerian future.
Remember, just like Joseph Santayana once said, “those who refuse to recall their history are bound to repeat history.” Due to identified pressing needs, we have compiled a comprehensive list of over 1500 up-to-Date Nigerian current affairs past questions and answers for 2023–2024 to help cater to the needs of Nigerians going for job interviews and exams…
Also Read: The Best Job Sites in Nigeria 2020
Also Read: List of Political Parties in Nigeria
If you are expecting or preparing for an interview, be it a job interview, admissions interview, or scholarship interview, you can always rely on this up-to-date information to increase your level of preparedness.
So, without expending most of our time, the lists are presented below.
Latest Nigerian Current Affairs – Questions And Answers
1. How many ethnic groups do we have in Nigeria?
Answer: 250 ethnic groups
2. Who is the current chief justice of Nigeria?
Answer: Olukayode Ariwoola
3. In Nigeria, democracy day is now celebrated on.,
Answer: June 12
4. Which is the most populated country in the world?
Answer: China, with 1.4 billion residents
5. Who was the first Nigerian female psychiatrist?
Answer: Dr. Bertha Johnson
6. Nigeria’s Inspector General of Police?
Answer: Kayode Egbetokun
7. Which is the second-largest continent in the world?
Answer: Africa, coming after Asia
8. The hottest region in the world is called?
Answer: The Sahara Desert
9. Who is the current chairman of ECOWAS?
Answer: Bola Ahmed Tinubu of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
10. Which African country first gained independence?
Answer: Liberia in 1847
11. Who is Nigeria’s current speaker of House of Representatives?
Answer: Tajudeen Abbas
12. Who was the first writer of an English dictionary in the world?
Answer: Mr. Samuel Johnson
13. Who is Nigeria’s Minister of Power?
Answer: Ahmad Salihijo Ahmad
14. Who was the first President of Nigeria?
Answer: Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, Oct. 1st, 1960 – Jan. 15th, 1966
15. What does blue in the Nigerian Police flag represent?
Answer: Love, loyalty and unity
16. The first awarded archbishop in Africa?
Answer: Benson Andrew Idahosa
17. The separation of powers simply means
Answer: Checks and Balances
18. What is a 70-year anniversary called?
19. What does the acronym ICAO stand for?
Answer: International Civil Aviation Organisation
20. Who was Nigeria’s first inspector general of police?
Answer: Mr. C. W. Duncan, 1930 – 1935
21. Who is the current Sultan of the Sokoto caliphate?
Answer: Muhammadu Salad Abubakar
22. Who is the current governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria?
Answer: Yemi Cardoso
23. Who is Nigeria’s Minister of Education?
Answer: Prof. Tahir Mamman
24. What does the acronym ECOMOG mean?
Answer: Economic Community Monitoring Group
25. Which is the highest mountain in Africa?
Answer: Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania
26. When did Nigeria break diplomatic relations with Israel?
27. Who created the Nigerian Council?
Answer: Frederick Lugard
28. What country does Nigeria share borders within the West?
Answer: Republic of Benin
29. Who is the current Senate President of Nigeria?
Answer: Godswill Akpabio
30. Which continent is the smallest in the world?
31. What agency is the Economic Commission for Africa part of?
Answer: UNO (United Nations Organisation)
32. To what set of people does political sovereignty belong?
Answer: The Government
33. What region was the NCNC’s facilitation responsible for creating?
Answer: Mid-West Region
34. For what reason was Nigeria suspended from the Commonwealth in 1995?
Answer: Political Reasons
35. Who was the first Senate President of Nigeria?
Answer: Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe
36. Who was the first governor-general of colonial Nigeria?
Answer: Lord Lugard
37. What are people who live by selling labour in the Marxist theory called?
38. Who formed the first political party in Nigeria?
Answer: Herbert Macaulay
39. What was the first political party in Nigeria?
Answer: Nigerian National Democratic Party (NNDP)
40. When did the Duke and Duchess of Sussex leave the royal family?
Answer: January 2020
41. When was paper currency introduced in Nigeria?
42. How many local government areas are in Nigeria?
43. Which state in Nigeria has the largest number of local government areas?
Answer: Kano State has 44 LGAs.
44. What does the term MDG stand for?
Answer: Millennium Development Goals
45. When did the Federal Military Government abolish the four regions?
46. How many countries constitute the Economic Community of West African States?
47. Which country was the last to win independence from colonial rule?
48. A country made up of semi-autonomous units is called
Answer: A confederation
49. What is the ultimate aim of political parties?
Answer: To acquire and exercise power
50. In what system of government is political power inherited?
51. Which is the largest city in Nigeria?
52. How many states were created by General Yakubu Gowon in Nigeria, May 1967?
Answer: 12 states
53. Who was the first Executive President of Nigeria?
Answer: Alhaji Shehu Shagari
54. When was Facebook founded?
Answer: February 4, 2004
55. How many regional divisions do Africa have?
Answer: (Six Regional Divisions)
56. Who is the current managing director of NNPC?
Answer: Maikanti Baru
57. Who is the current Chief Justice of Nigeria?
Answer: Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad
58. Who was the longest-serving senate president of Nigeria?
Answer: David Mark
59. Who is the current Prime Minister of the United Kingdom?
Answer: Boris Johnson
60. Who is the current Secretary-General of the United Nations?
Answer: Antonio Guterres
61. Who is the longest-serving Prime Minister of Israel?
Answer: Benjamin Netanyahu
62. Which state in Nigeria has the smallest number of LGAs?
Answer: Abuja, with only seven LGAs.
63. When was the United Nations Organisation formed?
Answer: 25 April 1945
64. Who was the first woman to become a governor in Nigeria?
Answer: Mrs. Virginia Etiaba, Anambra State
65. What does the acronym NUPENG mean?
Answer: National Union of Petroleum Engineers and Natural Gas
66. Who is the current INEC Chairman?
Answer: Prof. Mahmood Yakubu
67. The first female Brigadier in Nigeria?
Answer: Ronke Kale
68. Who released Nelson Mandela when he was arrested as an apartheid prisoner?
Answer: President Fredrick Declerk
69. Who is the current Chairman of UNO?
Answer: Bankie Moore from South Korea
70. Which state has the highest percentage of contribution to oil revenue in Nigeria?
Answer: Delta State
71. What is the motto of Nigeria?
Answer: Unity and Faith, Peace and Progress
72. How long does it take the earth to complete one revolution?
Answer: 365 days
73. When was the first refinery in Nigeria built?
74. When was the Federal Capital Territory created?
Ans: February 3rd, 1976
75. Who was Nigeria’s first military head of state?
Ans: General Yakubu Gowon
76. Who was known as the King of Afrobeat in Nigeria?
Ans: Mr Fela Anikulapo Kuti
77. Where was the United Nations Organisation formed?
Ans: San Francisco, April 1945
78. How was Sir Dele Giwa killed?
Ans: Through letter bomb
79. When was the Central Bank of Nigeria established?
80. Which authority heads the Nigerian Judiciary?
Ans: The Chief Justice of Nigeria
81. Who was the first Sultan of Sokoto?
Ans: Shehu Usman Danfodio
82. When was the Nigerian Air Force established?
Ans: In 1964
83. Who was the last governor before Nigeria’s independence?
Ans: Sir James Robertson
84. Who was the first managing director of NNPC?
Ans: Chief R.A Marinho
85. When did the first world war take place?
86. Which is the second most populated country in the world?
Ans: India, following China, has a population of 1,806.6 billion people.
87. When did the Nigerian civil war begin?
Ans: July 6, 1967
88. The award of honour GCFR is meant for?
Ans: Head of States only
89. What is the motto of the Nigerian Police?
Ans: The police are your friends.
90. When did the second world war take place?
91. What is the life expectancy of a Nigerian man?
92. What does the red eagle on the Nigerian coat of arms depict?
93. What is the official language of Nigeria?
Ans: English Language
94. When was Nigeria declared and recognised as a nation?
Ans: October 1, 1960
95. How many continents are there in the world?
Ans: Seven continents
96. What does the colour yellow in the Nigerian police flag signify?
Ans: Discipline and resourcefulness
97. Who is Nigeria’s current minister of finance?
Ans: Wale Edun.
98. Who was the first secretary-general of United Nations organisations?
Ans: Tryg Velie from Norway
99. When was the current president of Nigeria born?
Ans: 17 December 1942
100. How many senators make up the national assembly of Nigeria?
Ans: 109 senators
101. How many senatorial districts are the 36 states divided into?
Ans: Three senatorial districts
102. How many members does the House of Representatives of Nigeria have?
Ans: 360 members
103. Who was the first House of Representatives member?
Ans: Sir Fredric Metcalfe
104. Which is the highest mountain in the world?
Ans: Mount Everest, 29,028 feet tall
105. Who were the first Europeans to come to West Africa?
106. When did the outbreak of the American Civil War take place?
107. Who was the first president of the United States of America?
Ans: George Washington
108. Who was the National President of Nigeria?
Ans: Chief Olusegun Obasanjo
109. What does the green in the Nigerian police flag represent?
Ans: Energy and life
110. How many regional divisions are there in Africa?
Ans: Five regional divisions
111. How many countries make up Middle Africa?
Ans: Nine African countries
112. When did Nigeria become a British colony?
113. Where is the Kainji Dam in Nigeria located?
Ans: Niger State
114. How many states make up the South-South geo-political zone in Nigeria?
Ans: Six states
115. When did the current president of Nigeria resume duties?
Ans: May 19, 2015
116. What is the state of origin of the president of Nigeria?
Ans: Katsina State
117. Who was the first female NAFDAC Chairman?
Ans: Prof. Dora Akunyili
118. Who invented the light bulb?
Ans: Thoma Edison
119. What was the first-ever produced Nollywood movie?
Ans: Palaver, produced in 1926
120. Who is the Vice President of Nigeria?
Ans: Oluyemi Osibanjo
121. When did the former president Umaru Yar’Adua die?
Ans: May 6, 2010
122. What discovery are the Lander brothers known for?
Ans: Discovering the source of River Niger
123. Who discovered the African continent?
Ans: Prince Henry the explorer from Portugal
124. When was the slave trade first abolished?
Ans: In 1803, Denmark-Norway
125. Who invented the motor car?
Ans: Karl Benz, 1885
126. What is the coldest planet in the Solar system?
127. Which is the highest court of law in Nigeria?
Ans: Supreme court of Nigeria
128. Who was the first governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria?
Ans: R.A Feton
129. When was the Nigerian Football Premier League formed?
130. What is the hottest planet in the solar system?
Ans: The Venus
131. Which is the oldest degree-awarding university in Nigeria?
Ans: University of Ibadan
132. Who was the first female professor in Nigeria?
Ans: Elfrida Adeho
133. Which courts are the lowest in Nigeria?
Ans: Magistrate, District and customary courts
134. When was GSM introduced in Nigeria?
135. Who was the first indigenous speaker of the House of Representatives?
Ans: Jaja Wachuku, 1959.
136. Who was the first vice president of Nigeria?
Ans: Alex I. Ekwueme
137. How long does it take Mars to complete one revolution?
Ans: 687 days
138. Which of Nigeria’s past presidents is also known as an ambassador for peace?
Ans: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan
139. Who is Nigeria’s Minister of transportation?
Ans: Rotimi Amaechi
140. When was Nigeria’s currency changed to naira and kobo?
Ans: January 1st, 1973
141. When was Google founded?
Ans: 4th September 1998
142. Who discovered the internet?
Ans: Robert E. Kahn and Vint Cerf
143. When did Donald Trump assume duties as President of America?
Ans: 20th January 2017
144. Who is the inventor of the computer?
Ans: Charles Babbage
145. Who is known as the fastest man in the world?
Ans: Usain Bolt
146. What is the most common natural resource in Nigeria?
147. Where was the first modern Olympics held?
Ans: In 1896, Greece
148. How many countries are in Europe?
Ans: 44 countries
149. Who was the first African Bishop?
Ans: Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther
150. Who is the richest man in the world?
Ans: Jeff Bezos, founder of Amazon
MAJOR ACRONYMS AND FULL MEANING OF MAJOR INSTITUTIONS IN NIGERIA(UPDATED 2023 LIST)
- SARS means Special Anti Robbery Squad
- ECOWAS means Economic Community Of West African States
- NANS means National Association Nigerian Students
- NUJ means Nigerian Union Of Journalists
- NASU means Non-Academic Staff Union
- NDA means Nigerian Defense Academy
- SAN means Senior Advocate Of Nigeria
- NA means Nigerian Army
- PDP means Peoples Democratic Party
- APC means All Progressive Congress
- CAN means Christian Association Of Nigeria
- NYSC means National Youth Service Corps
- PHCN means Power Holding Company Of Nigeria
- NIPOST means Nigerian Postal Service And Telecommunication
- WAEC means West African Examination Council
- CBN means Central Bank Of Nigeria
- NICON means National Insurance Company Of Nigeria
- GCE means General Certificate Of Education
- NURTW means National Union Of Road Transport Workers
- EFCC means Economic And Financial Crime Commission
- FRSC means Federal Road Safety Commission.
- ASUU means Academic Staff Union Of Universities
- ASUP means Academic Staff Union Of Polytechnics
- JAMB means Joint Admission And Matriculation Board
- NAN means News Agency Of Nigeria
- NAFDAC means National Agency For Food And Drug Administration And Control.
- INEC means National Independent Electoral Commission
While the yellow flower at the base of the Coat of arm is Costus spectabilis, which is Nigeria’s national flower.
The flag of Nigeria was designed in 1959 and first officially hoisted on 1st October 1960. (which is Nigeria National Independent Day)
The green bands represent the forests and abundant natural wealth of Nigeria while the White band stands for peace.
However, what you should know is that the designer of the flag was a student from IBADAN, Micheal Taiwo Akinkunmi.
THE HISTORY AND PAST LEADERS IN NIGERIA: NIGERIAN CURRENT AFFAIRS 2019
Nigeria is a country that has the highest population in Africa continent.
This is proved by the 21st to 25th March 2006 population census.
Nigeria’s population was estimated to be about 140,000,000 people. (One hundred and forty Million)
Nigeria, which is officially known as The Federal Republic of Nigeria, stands as a border,
The Benin Republic on the west,
Cameroon on the east,
The Gulf of Guinea on the south,
Niger to the north.
Currently, Nigeria is made up of 36 STATES and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
With 109 senatorial districts,
360 federal constituencies,
990 state constituencies,
774 local governments,
These are the names of Nigeria’s former colonial masters.
Sir Frederick Lord Lugard,
who ruled from 1900 to 1919.
Sir Hugh Clifford,
Who ruled from 1919 to 1925.
Sir Creamer Thompson,
who ruled from 1925 to 1931.
Sir Donald Cameroon,
who ruled from 1931 to 1935.
Sir Bernard Bourdilion.
who ruled from 1935 to 1943.
Sir Anthony Richard.
Who ruled from 1943to 1948.
Sir John McPherson.
Who ruled from 1948 to 1958.
Sir James Robertson.
Who ruled from 1958 to 1960.
Nigeria first indigenous Governor General and also the first Ceremonial President is:
Answer: Dr Nnamdi Azikwe.
The first prime minister in Nigeria is:
Answer: Alhaji Abubakar Tafawa Balewa.
The first military head of state in Nigeria is:
Answer: General Aguiyi Ironsi.
The first executive President of Nigeria is:
Answer: Alhaji Shehu Shagari.
The first military president in Nigeria is:
Answer: General Ibrahim Babangida.
#1. Mention the new service chiefs in Nigeria
Answer: General Abayomi Gabriel Olonishakin- Chief of Defence Staff;
Lt-General T.Y. Buratai- Chief of Army Staff;
Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas- Chief of Naval Staff;
Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar – Chief of Air Staff
#2. Who is the current INEC chairman?
Answer: Mahmud Yakubu
#3. Who is the current NAFDAC Director-General?
Answer: Paul Orhii
#4. Who is the current Inspector General of police?
Answer: IGP Solomon Arase
#5. The current chairman of the African Union
Answer: Robert Mugabe
#6. Who is the secretary general of the united nations
Answer: Ban Ki-Moon
#7. Who is the current minister of education?
Answer: Anthony Onwuka
#8. Mention five rivers in Nigeria that share their names with a state.
Answer: Rivers- Benue, Niger, Osun, Kaduna, Ogun, Sokoto, Cross River, Imo
#9. What was the first political party in Nigeria?
Answer: Nigerian National Democratic Party (NNDP)
#10. Who is the current president of Nigeria?
Answer: Muhammadu Buhari
#11. Who is the current vice president of Nigeria?
Answer: Yemi Osibajo
#12. What does the eagle in the Nigerian coat of arms represent?
#13. Mention 5 past senate presidents of Nigeria.
Answer: Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, Evan Enwerem, Chuba Okadigbo, Anyim Pius Anyim, Adolphus Wabara, Ken Nnamani, David Mark
#14. What do the two horses on the Nigerian coat of arms represent?
#14. What was the black shield in the Nigerian coat of arm stand for?
Answer: Nigerian’s fertile soil
#16. What does the white colour in the Nigerian flag stand for?
#17. What does the green colour in the Nigerian flag represent?
Answer: Forests and abundant natural wealth of Nigeria
#18. Who is the current minister of finance?
Answer: Kemi Adeosun
#19. Who is the current minister of defense?
Answer: Monsur Dan-Ali
#20. Nigeria is divided into how many geopolitical zones?
Answer: Six (6) geopolitical zones
#21. What was the first capital city in Nigeria?
#22. Who is the current minister of FCT?
Answer: Muhammadu Bello
#23. Who is the current Nigerian Deputy Senate president?
Answer: Senator Ike Ekweremadu
#24. When did Nigerian Golden eaglets win the world under-17 FIFA world cup
Answer: 1985, 1993, 2007, 2013, 2015
#25. Who gave Nigeria her name:
Answer: Flora Shaw
#26. Who designed the Nigerian flag?
Answer: Michael Taiwo Akinkunmi
#27. Which country won the last world cup?
#28. Who was the first man to buy a car in Nigeria?
Answer: Bob Jensen
#29. Who was the first woman to drive a car in Nigeria?
Answer: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti
#30. What is the first TV station in Nigeria?
Answer: Western Nigerian Government Broadcasting Corporation (WNTV) in 1959
#31. Who is the current CBN Governor?
Answer: Godwin Emefiele
#32. Where was crude oil first discovered in Nigeria?
Answer: Oloibiri Oilfield, located in Oloibiri in Ogbia LGA of Bayelsa State
#33. Who was the first Nigerian to become a Noble Laureate?
Answer: Wole Soyinka
#34. Who is the Nigerian current speaker of the house of Assembly?
Answer: Yakubu Dogara
#35. Who is the minister for petroleum resources in Nigeria?
Answer: President Muhammad Buhari
#36. Who is the current chief justice of Nigeria?
Answer: Mahmoud Mohammed.
#37. When was the Nigerian Naira introduced?
Answer: 1st January 1973
#38. When was the first military coup carried out in Nigeria?
#39. How many local Governments do we have in Nigeria?
#40. Who is the first Nigerian president?
Answer: Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe
#41. Who was the Nigerian first executive president?
Answer: Alhaji Shehu Aliyu Shagari
#42. Who was the Nigerian first prime minister?
Answer: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa
#43. What is the largest continent in the world?
Answer: ASIA with a population of 3,641,000,000 while Australia & Oceania is the smallest continent
#44. What are the five Oceans in the world?
Answer: Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean, Southern Ocean, Arctic Ocean
#45. What is the full meaning of UNICEF?
Answer: United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund
#46. When were the currency notes introduced?
Answer: 100 naira:1999, 200 nairas in 2000, 500 nairas in 2001 and 1000 naira on October 12, 2005.
#47. How many ministers do we have in Nigeria?
#48. Who is the current Senate President in Nigeria?
Answer: Senator Bukola Saraki
#49. Which country’s flag is called the Union Jack?
Answer: Great Britain
#50. With which countries does Nigeria share boundaries?
Answer: Nigeria is located in West Africa and shares land borders with the Republic of Benin in the west, Chad and Cameroon in the east, and Niger in the north
Current Nigerian Governors and their States
Currentaffairs.ng now has a comprehensive list of the governors of the 36 states of Nigeria and their pictures. Go check it out at https://currentaffairs.ng/governors/a A profile for the FCT minister who serves like the governor of FCT has also be includede.
Also Read: Nigerian Authors Of All Time
I hope you are now well informed and equipped with the necessary information you need to succeed in your interviews and exams? The list is constantly being updated, so do ensure that you continue to visit this site regularly … Please, if there is any information you think that should be here, which we didn’t include, please use the comment section down below to inform us and we shall make the necessary changes presently.