Ready Wear Clothing Line in Nigeria – To start ready wear clothing line in Nigeria is not an easy and straightforward process, but with determination and grit, one can succeed. Ready wear clothing line is a highly profitable business in Nigeria and around the world.
McKinsey Global Fashion Index estimates that the entire global clothing business is worth a whopping $2.4 trillion. This is because clothing never goes out of demand, it is a basic necessity of life. The clothing line business is hinged on style, innovation, and creativity.
This article outlines a great way to Start Ready Wear Clothing Line in Nigeria and Earn Huge Profit.
The ready wear clothing line is a major part of the fashion and apparel industry, and it can be categorized into two divisions: clothing line for men and clothing line for females.
It creates a lot of employment for the teeming population. In 2014, the Nigerian fashion market was estimated to have a market worth of over 10 billion dollars, as reported by PM news.
Lagos is the home of the Nigerian fashion industry, and a huge chunk of fashion designers are based there. Although Calabar, Port Harcourt, and Aba is also home to a great number of textile workers. A lot of foreign investors have keyed into the huge profitability of this industry.
The key to success in the ready wear clothing line business in Nigeria is high creativity, good business skill, eye for great style, ability to predict the trend and a go-getter attitude.
Easy Steps to Start Ready Wear Clothing Line in Nigeria
1. Learn the Skill of cloth making
A good clothing designer will understand the rudiment of cloth making. Learning how to design clothes will enable you to understand and create styles that will grasp the interest of customers, and ensure a steady flow of income.
2. Choose a niche
There are several categories under ready wear clothing line business in Nigeria. You can make corporate wears, native wears, female clothes, male clothes and even clothes for kids.
It is advisable that you pick a niche that will have a good customer base and patronage. Without demand, you may not be able to succeed in the business.
Some relevant questions you can ask that is related to a clothing line niche in Nigeria include:
- What type of cloth brand will be sold for customers? Luxury or High-end quality? Average quality or London used? Low quality?
- What type of gender your clothing line will be focusing on? Which gender will your clothes be sold to? Men? Ladies? Or will be selling both mens’ and ladies’ wear?
- What type of clothing will I be producing? Corporate? Casual? Trendy? Exotic? Vibrant? Business? School? Sporty? Wedding?
- Will I produce other clothing accessories like coats, ties, jewelry, headwears, shoes, socks, etc.
3. Have a Business Plan
In every business, a business plan is of the utmost importance. It is key to ensure a business stands the test of time. A business plan contains vital information and a strategy that helps the business survive. It comprises its strength, weakness, opportunities, and threats.
A business plan is also essential if you will need a bank loan or investment funding as capital for your ready wear clothing line business in Nigeria.
In Nigeria, most new business owners usually forget or overlook the business plan. But before starting your clothing line, a business plan is a necessity. A business plan will assist you in defining and reaching your short term and long term goals. It will also create a road map to success and your suppliers and investors will know that you are ready to get your business on the path of profit.
4. Get a Location/Office
Location is key to the success of the business. It should be in a place where there are fashion enthusiasts and customers. An office will also create your physical presence and workspace.
Here are some tips for picking the right location for your clothing line:
- Once you have figured out your customers or target market. Try as much as possible to site your business where these people frequent. For example, if your clothing line is for women wears, ensure enough women or ladies go through that particular location you intend to site your clothing line business.
- Your business should be accessible. The location where you plan to site your clothing line business should be accessible. Your customers should be able to go in and out of your office or store very easily. There should also be parking space around for customers with cars.
- Your clothing line location should be easily visible. This means it shouldn’t be hard to find. You won’t want to spend too much money on advertisements. Your clothing line should be sited where people can easily sight your business and beautiful wears on display when they walk or drive by.
- Ensure you site your clothing line in a secured location. Before renting an office, store or shop make sure you find out the security history of that area, street or town. Some places in Nigeria are known for burglary and thefts and the last thing you would want is thieves breaking into your store.
- Healthy competition is great and a location that is known for cloth sales won’t be a bad idea. So, if you open your clothing line store in a market that is filled with clothing stores, then you won’t have to look for patronage too much.
- Consider the cost of rents and other expenses before picking a location. Your budget is important.
5. Get A Cloth Factory Or Employ Tailors
Assuming you want to produce your clothes large scale, you will need enough hands either through the services of tailors or by automation, depending on your expenses.
Be extra cautious when employing tailors, ensure they measure up to your expectation and they are competent enough. If you are planning to produce your clothes on small scale, then you can sew them yourself till you have enough for display.
6. Get Your Materials
Clothing materials and other office materials will be important as a clothing line business owner in Nigeria. These materials form the necessities that will be used to set up the business.
7. Procure Equipment
These equipment are vital to your business and can are always needed in the clothing line business:
- A backup power supply e.g. generator, inverter or solar power
- Sewing machine e.g. embroidery or weaving machine
- Table and chair
- Clothes Rails
- Clothes Hangers
- Shop Counter
- Point-of-Sale System
8. Register Your Business
As a business owner, your business must be registered with the government and must operate within the laws and regulations of the land. A place to begin the registration of business is the corporate affairs commission.
Your brand name also needs to be copyrighted or trademarked in order to avoid intellectual theft of your business property. Trademarking and copyrighting is handled by the Nigerian copyright commission.
Learn how to Register Your Business With Nigeria in Nigeria here
9. Publicize Your Business Via Advertisement
Advertisement is a way of creating awareness about your business.
This can be through the internet, poster, television or radio. It depends on your budget.
The more people know about your business, the easier it is for your business to succeed long term.
Here are some tips that can help you promote your clothing line in Nigeria:
- A clothing line website is absolutely important.
- Your clothing line should also have an active social media account.
- You can custom package your clothing products or wears to increase the visibility of your brand.
- Quality photography is highly essential.
10. Network Network Network
You need friends in the business as a business owner. Grow a relationship with those who have been in the business before, and seek their expertise.
This will help you build a network of patrons will be glad to impact your business positively.
11. Know the Minimum Startup Amount for Ready Wear Clothing Business
Another important aspect of the clothing line business is funding. The good things are that the business is not too capital intensive compared to other businesses.
With less than 500 thousand naira and much determination, the Ready Wear Clothing Line in Nigeria can kick-off.
Start-up capital can be gotten from banks, investors, family, friends or even crowdfunding.
In all, the key to a successful Ready Wear Clothing Line business in Nigeria is determination and persistence, and with a bit more effort you create the next Gucci or Versace in Nigeria.
If you’ve got some other questions you may want to ask, kindly use the comment section down below, and we will get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks.