Day off request letter is written whenever you want to stay absent from school, work, or any occasion that really requires your presence.
For instance, you are working in a particular company and let’s say the company works from Monday through Saturday. So, your sister is about to be wedded, and you are to be her chief bride maid. What you will do is that you’ll have to write a day of request letter to your manager or director, stating the appropriate dates that you won’t be available in the company.
However, this type of letter is called “Request Letters.” When writing request letters, you need to be brief and direct, avoiding any auxiliary information that might weaken the message you are conveying—state exactly and clearly what you are requesting for giving reasons for it. For example, if you are requesting a raise, explain why you think you deserve one.
Also, Maintain a polite tone throughout the letter. Close the letter by thanking the recipient in advance and expressing your anticipation for his/her consideration.
The day off request letter can be a formal letter or semi-formal. Therefore you can use youse either of the two formats.
Note that you should present your letter of request to your boss ahead of time so that he can ponder over it and possibly see the reasons why he should grant your request.
ALSO READ: International Day of the Girl Child Quotes
Before you plan to write a day off request letter, here are the things you need to consider and do.
1. You need to review your company’s PTO policy. Some companies have specific request policies, such as taking a set number of days in a row off. So I would be of great help to you if you can look at your company’s vacation policy.
For instance, I once worked in a company that gives 2 days off its by request to its staff every month. Meaning that as a staff of the company you can request for a day off two times every month if you wish to
2. After reviewing your company’s PTO policy, the next thing you should do is check the company calendar. If your request is flexible, know if the days you want to take off won’t conflict with its events.
Also, consider requesting time off when you don’t have many tasks or projects to complete. In this case, you can ask your employer what the best time is if you are unsure.
3. Discuss your request at an appropriate time. Yes, it’s good to discuss this with your manager or supervisor whenever you know that he is always chanced. That’s if you want to request in person.
However, to increase the chance of getting this your request approved, let me tell you what I always do, which I believe will work for you as well.
One of these tricks is to come very early to work that day and concentratedly finish your task, and sometimes you exceed your task limit for the day. After you are done with your task for the day, you can then ask for your day off.
4. Ask rather than tell. Since your manager will most likely need to approve your request, ask them if the time you’ve selected for vacation is acceptable rather than telling them you’re taking time off. When making your request, you can mention that you planned your vacation when it would not affect your team and tell them if you’re available to answer questions while you’re away.
5. As I stated earlier before now, when telling you how to write a letter of request, it’s always good to offer brief details when writing a day off request. So, it’s not necessary to tell your manager the reasons for your PTO request unless you’re planning to take an extended time away from your job.
6. Use the appropriate format to send your day off request. In this case, you have to know the correct way to ask for time off before you make your request.
Some companies may require a written statement, while others may accept the in-person requests, that’s. OR may happen that the company may have an online timekeeping portal in which you’ll need to submit your request. So, whatever the case me be, try using the correct format when planning for this.
Another thing you have to know when planning to request for this is, “How many weeks will it take the company to review your request before giving you approval.” With this, you will know if you are to send your request 2 or 1 month ahead, 2week ahead, and so on.
Importantly, make sure to prepare a plan on how work will be handled in your absence (who will do what). This the most important thing you need to do.
Day Off Request Letter Sample
Below are examples you can use as a guide when you want to request for a day off:
Dear Sir Lawal
I would like to kindly ask for one day off on 15th Novemeber 2020 [exact date] because [give a reason – optional]
Mr. Chibuike [colleague name] will cover for me on that day.
Please count this day against my annual leave balance.
Thank you for understanding.
Dear [Receivers name],
I have three vacation days available and would like to use these at the end of November. My husband and I would like to plan a trip to California. Would it be okay to use my vacation days Nov. 23-25? I looked at our team schedule, and I should be able to finish reviewing the escrow records by then. I can be available by email during my vacation for quick questions. Let me know if you’d like to have a discussion in person this week.
Do you have any questions about this? Let’s hear from you in the comment section below, and please share.