Full List of Army Barracks In Nigeria.
Army barracks in Nigeria are known for housing the men of the Nigeria army. Army barracks can be said to be a structure or building where military personnel live. Army barracks were created to keep soldiers from civilians and ensure discipline and esprit de corps.
Parts of Nigerian Army Barracks
As mentioned earlier, Nigerian army barracks are accommodation for men of the armed forces. Still, it will interest you to know that typical army barracks in Nigeria have may parts, which include:
The officers quarter of the army barracks is where the senior army officers live. In a Nigerian Army barracks, each officer is entitled to a room and a ‘soldier servant’ or orderly. The commanding officers usually live in a bigger house than other regimental officers.
There are other quarters like the ranks’ quarters ( which provides accommodation for privates and corporals) and sergeants’ quarters (which includes accommodation for non-commissioned officers).
Commissary facility or shopping centre
Army Barracks in Nigeria are now vastly empowered to own shopping centres, that will sell groceries and other food products to men of the Nigerian army at a discounted price. Some times, these shopping centres are run by wives of the army officers.
Correctional facilities or Military prison
In army barracks in Nigeria, one can find the military jail which is used to incarcerate men of the army who have committed an offence, enemy of the country or prisoner of war. The military prison is under the control of the Nigerian military.
The Nigerian army operates military hospitals situated near or inside the army barracks. The hospital caters to the health of men of the armed forces and their families. Civilians are also allowed to seek treatments in military hospitals. An example of a famous military hospital is the 44 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital Kaduna situated in Kaduna state.
‘Mess’ in the military context refers to an area where the soldiers relax and have their meal. Some Nigerian army barracks have a mess. For instance, there is the Command Officers Mess at Asokoro, Abuja.
List of Army Barracks In Nigeria
We will now focus on the numerous army barracks in Nigeria. For years, these barracks have held a lot of memories for Nigerians, especially during the military regimes. They were dreaded and feared and looked upon with awe. But the democratic era has brought about some mutual understanding between men of the armed forces and the Nigerian civilians.
Nigeria has a total of 52 Army barracks which are:
- Dodan Barracks, located in Ikoyi Lagos state, is currently the biggest barrack in Nigeria.
- Goodluck Jonathan Barracks, located in Ohafia Delta state, ranked as the third-largest military base in Nigeria.
- Artillery Brigades Barracks, Minna, Niger state.
- Katsina Barracks
- Alamala Barracks, Abeokuta state.
- Oyo, Mokola Military Barracks located in Oyo state.
- 174 Battalion, Nigerian Army barracks located in Odoguyan Ikorodu, Lagos state.
- Osun Army Barracks.
- Ejoor Barracks Delta state.
- Warri Military Barracks located in Warri, Delta state.
- Ojo Barracks located in Lagos state.
- 22 Armoured Brigades, Sobi Barracks situated in Ilorin, Kwara state.
- 33 Artillery Brigades Barracks located in Bauchi state.
- 323 Artillery Brigade, Army Barracks, Military Base, located in Akure, Ondo state.
- Abakpa Barracks.
- Bori camps, Bori.
- Ikeja Barracks.
- Ashanti Barracks.
- Bukavu Barracks.
- Rukuba barracks.
- Awkunanu Barracks.
- Adaka Boro Barracks.
- Kalapanzin Barracks located in Kaduna state.
- Chindit Barracks located in Zaria.
- Giwa and Maimalari Barracks.
- Ribadu Cantonment located in Kaduna.
- Fort Nagwamatse Barracks.
- Obienu Barracks located.
- Odogbo Barracks located in Ibadan.
- Letmauk Barracks located in Ibadan.
- Keffi Barracks.
- Okitipupa Barracks.
- Ekanwan Barracks.
- Calabar Barracks.
- Onitsha Barracks.
- Lafenwa Barracks located in Abeokuta.
- Markurdi Barracks.
- Albati Barracks.
- Arokan Barracks.
- Tego Barracks.
- Beho Beho Barracks.
- Marda Barracks.
- Kotoko Barracks.
- Dalet Barracks.
- Mogadishu Barracks.
- Colito Barracks.
- Camp Wu Basssey Barracks.
- Fort IBB.
- Sani Abacha Barracks.
- Yakubu Gowon Barracks.
- Aguiyi Ironsi Barracks.
- Gado Nasko Barracks located in Abuja
The Nigerian army is responsible for preserving the territorial integrity of the country and tackling the various internal and external security challenge that hamper the growth of the nation. The government should pay more attention to the deplorable state of army barracks in Nigeria in a bid to renovating, refurbishing and modernising them.
If you have any questions on this, feel free to drop it at the comment section below and do well to share this using any of our share buttons – Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp or Email it to friends.