The article is a compilation of the full list of Road Traffic Agencies in Nigeria. These road traffic agencies are in charge of implementing the various traffic laws, managing traffic flow and directing traffic. They also vehicular and pedestrian safety on the road, and aim at reducing road accidents.
Full List of Road Traffic Agencies in Nigeria
There are a lot of road Traffic Agencies in Nigeria; this article does well to evaluate them thoroughly.
Metropolitan Area Transport Authority
This traffic management agency is popular in urban areas like Lagos, Port Harcourt and Kano. It is wholly controlled and managed by their respective state governments, and they majorly must provide stress-free movement of goods and persons in their various localities. They also control the multiple vehicles that ply roads.
Their responsibilities have recently been broadened to meet even rail and cable car facilities.
State Traffic Management Authority
This road traffic agency exists in every state. It functions as an organization that seeks to improve and manage traffic on the road. It tries to lower the occurrences of death and accidents on the motorway. It also seeks order and less mishap on the road.
Traffic Compliance and Enforcement
The Traffic compliance and enforcement agency was created in Ogun state in 2005, to cater for traffic management needs of that state. It renders an essential social service of researching and evaluating methods of road traffic improvement.
The National Emergency Management Agency of Nigeria
This federal agency was created, under Act 50 of 1999, to tackle all form of disasters. It also prevents disaster occurrence by working with other traffic management agencies. The agency has functional offices located in each geopolitical zone in the country.
Federal Road Safety Corps
FRSC is among the most prominent road traffic agencies in Nigeria. It was created by the enactment of a federal decree in 1988. It aims to eliminate all form of road accidents and ensure a safe environment for the motorist. According to the agency’s website, its duties are as follows:
- Preventing or minimizing accidents on the highway;
- Clearing obstructions on any part of the highways;
- Educating drivers, motorists and other members of the public generally on the proper use of the highways;
- Designing and producing the driver’s license to be used by various categories of vehicle operators;
- Determining, from time to time, the requirements to be satisfied by an applicant for a driver’s licence;
- Designing and producing vehicle number plates
- The standardization of highway traffic codes;
- Giving prompt attention and care to victims of accidents
- Conducting researches into causes of motor accidents and methods of preventing them and putting into use the result of such researches;
- Determining and enforcing speed limits for all categories of roads and vehicles and controlling the use of speed limiting devices;
- Cooperating with bodies or agencies or groups in road safety activities or in prevention of accidents on the highways;
- Making regulations in pursuance of any of the functions assigned to the Corps by or under this Act.
- Regulating the use of sirens, flashers and beacon lights on vehicles other than ambulances and vehicles belonging to the Armed Forces, Nigeria Police, Fire Service and other Paramilitary agencies;
- Providing roadside and mobile clinics for the treatment of accident victims free of charge;
- Regulating the use of mobile phones by motorists;
- Regulating the use of seat belts and other safety devices;
- Regulating the use of motorcycles on the highway;
- Maintaining the validity period for drivers’ licences which shall be three years subject to renewal at the expiration of the validity period.
Motor Vehicle Administration Agency
Motor Vehicle Administration Agency is mostly seen in Lagos motorway. It plays the role of maintaining a database of vehicles and motorists. This road traffic agency also generates revenue for the government through licensing and registration.
Our Final Say on this
The above listed agencies are the road traffic agencies in Nigeria that you may always see on the road while going to anywhere in Nigeria.
What’s your thought on this? was it helpful? If yes, kindly leave comment below and please, don’t forget to share.