One may ask, what is special education? The answer is so simple…
Special Education are classes for children who have special needs because of physical or learning problems. In other words, Special Education Schools are unique instruction centres designed for students with special educational needs.
Do you know that the phrase “special education” was first used in the year 1921?
The first advocacy group to fight for quality special education was made up of parents whose children were marginalized in the United States in the year 1933.
Special Education in Nigeria has a fairly short history, only becoming a public concern in 1975.
Do you know that before the Government stepped in 1975, those with special needs were looked after by different religious or voluntary groups, such as the School for the Blind of Gindiri and the Wesley School for the Deaf in Lagos?
Here is a comprehensive list of Special Education Schools in Nigeria:
1. DAYSPRING INFANT AND JUNIOR SCHOOL:
Located in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
The school is a co-educational Nursery and Primary School with special learning resources and aids for physically challenged and mentally retarded children.
2. RI-CARE HELPMATE SERVICE:
This special educational centre is located in Lagos Island, Lagos State, Nigeria.
They are specialized in working with children with learning disabilities. They also provide therapeutic care, disable people materials and special couching for special need children.
3. MARIGOLD SPECIAL NEEDS SCHOOL:
Marigold is a special school for special children located at Alimosho, Lagos. They also hold a special Sunday service.
4. CENTRE OF KIDS WITH SPECIAL NIGERIA:
This special needs school is located in Abuja. Their mission is to support youngsters with brain disorder, syndrome spectrum disorder, learning difficulties and alternative connected learning disabilities.
5. COMRADE DAVID OFOEYENO SCHOOL FOR SPECIAL CHILDREN:
This is another special need school for children living with disabilities located in Udu, Delta State.
6. EARLY DEVELOPMENT, LEARNING AND CARE CENTRE:
Located in Ibadan North East, Oyo State Nigeria and with a mission of caring for children with special needs.
7. PACIFIC HALL SPECIAL SCHOOL:
Pacific Hall Special School is located in Ikeja, Lagos. They provide special services to youngsters with learning disorder, autism, brain disorder, disability and physical disabilities.
8. ADEYANJU TAIWO CENTRE FOR CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIES:
A special need school located in Ibadan North, Oyo State and also Garki II, Abuja.
This centre doesn’t directly supply instructional services but they network the special kid and their families with tending professionals and educators.
They additionally nurture and equip those that give look after people with brain disorder so as to foster quality care provision to those special folks.
10. EAGLE MOPE FOUNDATION:
Eagle Mope Foundation is Located in Gwagwalada Abuja. The foundation is concerned with Orphanage Care, Poverty Eradication Programme and Social Education for special children.
11. MODUPE COLE MEMORIAL CHILD CARE AND TREATMENT HOME:
Located in Akoka, Yaba, Lagos and provides special care to children with disabilities with day and boarding facilities.
12. THE SAGE SCHOOL:
The sage school is one of the best child special care school located is in the bubbling Maitama, Abuja, Nigeria.
13. Abdulsalam Vocational and Sign Language Training Center:
Located in Lagos, the school is specialized in Hearing Impaired People Training, Management and Staff Training, Security Services, Education and has the status of one of the best Special School in Nigeria.
14. Ajofa Special Foundation School For The Deaf:
Located at 3rd Avenue, Road 16, Plot 16, Block No. XCIII, Iyana Ipaja, Alimosho, Lagos, Nigeria.
15. St. Joseph Centre for Visually Hanicapp:
Located at Odudu, Cross Rivers.
16. Bethesda Homes for the Blind:
Located in Lagos Mainland, Lagos.
17. Optimum Special Education:
Located in Eti Osa, Lagos.
18. Orient Sickle Cell Foundation:
Located at 329, Zik Avenue, Akwa, Awka North, Anambra, Nigeria.
19. Nigeria Autism Treatment Network:
Located in Abuja Municipal, Abuja. It is a special school for people with disabilities.
20. Delight Needy Edu-Special Services:
A special school that provides education for special children. It is located at Da Pam Bot Street, Hwolshe, Jos South, Plateau, Nigeria.
21. School for the Mentally Retarded Chilren, Oredo Edo State, nigeria
22. Nan-Tor Nursery and Primary School, Makurdi, Benue State.
23. Ingicomm Sign-Language Communication School, located at Ibadan North East, Oyo State
24. Ibadan School for the deaf located in Ibadan North, Oyo.
25. AFRICAN NETWORK FOR THE PREVENTION AND PROTECTION AGAINST ABUSE AND NEGLECT:
This special institution is located at Number 43 Lumumba Street New Haven, Enugu State.
With other other small special care and educational centres scattered all over Nigeria, it is pertinent to submit that every physically and mentally challenged individual have right for quality care and good education.
Hope you find this write up worthwhile, informative and educative.