There are lots of big churches in Nigeria, but there are some that are extremely big. This write-up introduces you to the 10 biggest churches in Nigeria and their capacity. Top 10 churches in Nigeria. See the compiled list of the 10 biggest churches in Nigeria and their capacity. The Top 10 churches in Nigeria. See who made a list here.
10. The Lord’s Chosen Charismatic Revival Ministry (LCCRM)
This is a Big Church with a membership consisting of mostly Eastern People. The church is founded by Pastor Lazarus Mouka in 2002 and has its headquarters in Lagos, Nigeria. The Church auditorium is fairly big, and it can contain over 4000 members in service. Currently, the Church membership numbers up to a million.
Lord’s Chosen Charismatic Revival Church is a Religious organisation. It is a restoration church powered by the Spirit Of God to offer the truth of redemption to all leaders and their followers, bosses and slaves, administrators and those who are governed around the world, as the names suggest.
Pastor Lazarus Muoka got a sacred call from God, which led to the establishment of the Christian community.”
On the 23rd of December, 2002, at its first spot, No.16 Odunaike Street, Ilasamaja Area of Lagos, Nigeria, he gathered some believers (in their thousands) and proclaimed to them the great calling of God on his soul.
The church is popularly referred to as the Lord’s Chosen and has its headquarters in Lagos. It is one of the fasting growing churches in Africa, with more than 100,000 branches in Nigeria alone.
9. Fountain of Life Church
Fountain of Life Church was founded by Pastor Taiwo Odukoya and had it headquarter in Ilupeju, Lagos. Mere looking at the screenshot below, you can say the church auditorium is fairly large and can accommodate over 5,000 congregations.
This church was very popular in Nigeria and one of the biggest when one of its owners, late Dr. Bimbo Odukoya, was alive. The church is still doing okay with its message focused on the single and married. The church has a membership strength of more than 10,000 worshipers.
The Fountain of Life Church was established in the early 1990s. The church founding is “to teach men and women the art of building successful relationships and the principles of leadership so they can be all they are created to be’. The church has grown to be a fully internationally recognized one, with branches in several countries.
8. Daystar Christian Center (DCC)
The Daystar Christian Center is one of the fastest-growing churches in Nigeria, with its headquarter in Ikeja, Lagos State, Nigeria. Renowned Motivational Speaker Pastor Sam Adeyemi founded the Church. Pastor Sam is also the Senior Pastor of the Commission. His vision centres on raising role models, hence the focus on the younger generation. DCC auditorium in Lagos can accommodate over 6,000 people in a service.
By God Grace through faith, Daystar Christian Centre continues to fulfil this mission through frequent church services and community development, and God continues to bless the church by steadily increasing their attendance and influence.
Daystar Christian Centre was created as a Christian organization in 1995. It is committed to spread the word of God and help youths fulfil their potentials.
7. The Commonwealth Of Zion Assembly (COZA)
Reverend Biodun Fatoyinbo founded the COZA Ministry in 1999. The Church began in Ilorin, Kwara State, and it has now spread its branches to various parts of Nigeria. COZA has its headquarter in Abuja. COZA Church auditorium can accommodate close to 10,000 worshipers at once.
The church organizes some yearly events. Among the most popular COZA events are 12 Days of Glory and The Hub. The former is a conference for prayer and worship, while the latter is a business conference for enlightening business owners and entrepreneurs.
6. The Apostolic Church
The Apostolic Church is one of Nigeria’s biggest churches, with over 4.5 million members and a National Temple that seats over 10,000 worshipers in a service.
The doctrine of The Apostolic Church include:
- The Godhead’s Unity and the Trinity
- Human nature’s absolute immorality, the need for salvation and rebirth, and the everlasting destruction of the ultimately impenitent (i.e. unrepentant).
- Our Lord Jesus Christ’s immaculate conception, morally perfect life, atoning death, victorious resurrection, ascension, and everlasting intercession. His second coming and rule on the planet for a millennium.
- The believer is justified and sanctified as a result of Christ’s final work.
- The Holy Ghost Baptism
The church emerged as a splinter group from the Anglican church. It became a branch of the Apostolic Church Denomination in 1931. The church has more than 4 million members nationwide as of 2020.
5. Deeper Life Christian Ministry
Deeper Christian Life Ministry (also known as Deeper Life Bible Church) is a non-denominational Christian Church with its International headquarters, Deeper Life Bible Church Lagos in Lagos, Nigeria. It is overseen by the General Superintendent of Deeper Life Bible Church, Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi. Pastor W. F. Kumuyi founded the Church in 1973. He actually started with just 15 people when he began his ministry in 1973. He was once a Mathematics lecturer at the University of Lagos, Akoka, Yaba.
The Church has grown tremendously today with branches all over the country and abroad. The headquarters church auditorium can seat over 30,000 people ranking it as the 5th biggest of all churches in Nigeria.
The church also owns a conference center in Ogun state and a bible training school in Lagos.
Other notable places of worship of his Christian ministry include the Deeper Life Conference Centre in Ogun State at Kilometre 42, Lagos–Ibadan Expressway, and the International Bible Training Centre (IBTC) at Ayobo, Lagos.
4. Christ Embassy
Christ Embassy, also known as Believers’ LoveWorld Incorporated, is a megachurch and a Christian denomination founded by Pastor Chris Oyakhilome in 1990. The Church has headquarters in Lagos, with its branches spread across Nigeria. The Church has since become a global network of churches with congregations in many countries, with millions of members. The headquarters of Lagos has over 40 000 members.
The church has ministries worldwide that help believers worldwide, such as the International Cell Leader’s Conference, the International Pastors, Partners Conference, and the Healing school.
3. Mountain Of Fire and Miracle Ministry (MFM)
Founded by Dr. D. K. Olukoya, Mountain of Fire and Miracle Ministry is the 3rd biggest church in Nigeria, with a crusade hall that can accommodate over 40 000 worshipers at a time. The church also has its camp along the Lagos-Ibadan expressway. It is one of the most popular churches in Nigeria.
Mountain of fire and miracle ministry is different from most of the churches on this list. The church thrives on deliverance and spiritual battle. It recognizes the existence of demonic forces and bases its belief on conquering these spirits with prayer.
Screenshot from MFM Church
2. Living Faith Church World Wide
Living Faith Church Worldwide (also known as Winners Chapel) is a Mega Church and a Christian denomination founded by Bishop David Oyedepo in 1983. The organization has since become a global network of churches with congregations in 65 countries. It was sometimes labeled as the largest church in the world by the Guinness Book of Records.
It has a headquarters auditorium that can accommodate 50,000 people called Cananland. The church headquarters is located in Ota, Ogun State, Nigeria.
The church’s most popular event is Shiloh and is held at the end of the year. It is used to seek God’s purpose and direction of members of the church. It is a yearly event, and millions of people participate in the event.
1. The Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG)
RCCG holds the record of being the Pentecostal church with the most branches in Nigeria. The Redeem church is the most populated Pentecostal church in Nigeria, with the highest membership of over 2 million people. The Redeemed Church of God also has the largest auditorium that can accommodate its members, especially during their crusade along Lagos Ibadan Expressway. The current General Overseer of RCCG is Pastor E. A. Adeboye, a highly respected God in Nigeria.
According to Wikipedia, the list of notable churches in Nigeria is given below: It also contains the year of establishment, founder, and the current general overseer of the congregation.
- Redeemed Christian Church of God: Founded in 1952 by Rev. Josiah Akindayomi with Pastor Enoch A. Adeboye, the current General Overseer/Senior Pastor.
- Living Faith Church Worldwide: The Winners Chapel was established in 1981 by Bishop Dr. David Oyedepo, the President of the Commission.
- Christ Apostolic Church: The Aladura Group began in 1918 and is more than 100 years old now in Nigeria. It doubles as the first indigenous pentecostal church in Nigeria. Apostle Joseph Babalola was the first General Evangelist of the Commission. Pastor Abraham O. Akinosun currently heads the Church.
- Church of Nigeria: Founded by Henry Townsend in 1842 with Arch Bishop Nicholas Okoh, the current Senior Pastor.
- Christ Embassy: Founded by Pastor Chris Oyakhilome, who also doubles as the mission’s senior pastor.
- Deeper Christian Life Ministry: Pastor William Kumuyi founded the Deeper Life Church in 1982 in Lagos State, Nigeria. Pastor William Kumuyi is also the Senior Pastor of the Church.
- Cherubim and Seraphim: Moses Orimolade Tunolase founded the Church in the year 1925.
- Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministry: the Church was founded in 1989 by Dr. Daniel Olukoya.
- The Apostolic Church: Headed by Pastor Olutola and founded in the year 1931.
- The Lord’s Chosen: Founded in 2002 by Pastor Lazarus Mouka, also the Senior Pastor of the Church.
- Roman Catholic Church
- The Synagogue: T. B Joshua as the Senior pastor
- Church of the Lord: Founded by Josiah Ollunowo Ositelu in 1930
- The Celestial Church of Nigeria: In 1947, the church was established by Samuel Biléhou Joseph Oshoffa.
- Methodist Church of Nigeria: Established by British Missionaries in1842. Currently headed by Prelate Samuel Chukwuemeka Kanu Uche, JP.
- Nigerian Baptist Convention: The Church currently headed by Rev. Samson Olasupo Ayokunle, was established by Southern Baptist Convention missionaries in 1850/1914.
- Salvation Ministry: Founded and led by Pastor David Ibiyomie in 1997 in Port Harcourt, Nigeria.
- Royal House of Grace: Pastor Zilly Aggrey founded the commission in Port Harcourt in the year 1992.
- Word of Life Bible Church: Founded by Papa Ayo Oritsejafor in 1987 in Warri, Delta State, Nigeria.
More info read on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_churches_in_Nigeria
The Biggest Church Auditorium in the World
It is interesting to submit that Dunamis International Gospel Center, Abuja dedicated the largest church auditorium in the world in late 2018.
The Dunamis’ Glory Dome 100,000 seater capacity auditorium beats every over church auditoriums and buildings in the world.
The dedication witness the gathering of the high and mighty in the country. Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, Speaker Yakubu Dogara, former President Goodluck Jonathan, Sen. Dino Melaye, Gov. Emmanuel Udom of Akwa Ibom, Gov. Samuel Ortom of Benue, Bishop David Oyedepo, Pastor E.Adeboye, Pastor Mattew Ashimolowo, Pastor David Ibiyeomie, etc. graced the occasion.
This compilation is based on the fact we were able to gather online. If you have any contrary opinions, kindly leave your comment below.