Do you want to know how long it will take for your dog to deliver? Like in human, it takes nine (9) months for a pregnant woman to put to birth. But in dogs, it’s a different game.
So, in this post, you’ll get to know the answer to this question “How Long Are Dogs Pregnant?”. Let’s get started…
Yes, the prospect of having puppies from your dog for the first time usually leaves you either scared or exhilarated. Or you could experience a mix of these emotions. Getting prepared for what is to come will raise questions like; how long will it take before the pups are born? How many pups will they be? The list of questions is endless. Answers to any questions you may have will be given here. Try not to panic. Remember that puppies are adorable.
How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant
Before planning a future where puppies run around everywhere, you might want to be sure your dog is actually pregnant. Here are the signs to look out for;
- Your dog’s appetite: This either increases or decreases. When appetite increases, the yearning for certain foods may be noticed. This increase in appetite is quick to set in. A decrease in appetite may take a few weeks to show up.
- It’s behaviour: You may notice behavioural changes such as your dog getting clingy or avoiding any form of contact altogether. You could call this a mood swing.
- Physical changes: The major noticeable change will be the nipples. They begin to enlarge, adopting a darker pink shade. This is usually the case around the second week of pregnancy.
- Morning sickness: Surprised? Dogs experience this too.
If you’re not sure you’ve read the signs correctly, you should take your dog to see a veterinarian. An ultrasound will definitely reveal the pregnancy status of your dog. Unfortunately, you’d have to wait four weeks for this.
Gestation Period Of Dogs
The answer to the question of the time frame for which dogs are pregnant is not usually exact. Gestation period of dogs vary depending several factors. However, the period lasts between 58 – 67 days, 63 days being an average. This is approximately 9 weeks.
Dog Pregnancy Stages
During the fist month of pregnancy, most dogs show the following symptoms;
- Large appetite.
- Enlarged nipples.
- Less physical activity.
- Clear discharge from vagina.
- Morning sickness.
- They become more affectionate than usual.
Around the second month, the signs become more obvious. They include;
- Obvious large appetite.
- Gain in weight.
- Increased urination.
- Clear, odourless vaginal discharge.
- Enlarged, firm abdomen.
- Visible puppy movement in abdomen.
Symptoms during the last few days before the birth of the puppies include;
- Appetite loss.
- A drop in body temperature.
Number Of Puppies To Expect
Normally, Dogs do give birth to 3 – 12 puppies depending on the dog size and breed. On the average, the number is about 5 – 6 puppies.
Small dog breeds are associated with an average of 3 – 4 puppies with a maximum of 5- 8. Large breeds have 7 puppies on the average and 15 at best.