Giving the present situation of things in Nigeria, everybody tends to be very courteous when dealing with other businesses or companies.
Usually, one of the first things they wish to know is if the business or comparate company they wish to do business with is a registered business.
One of the surest ways to check if a company is registered in Nigeria is by checking with the Corporate Affairs Commission of Nigeria (CAC).
If you wish to learn how to check if a company is registered in Nigeria, this article will guide you in doing so.
In this article, I will be showing you a step by step procedure to check if a company is registered in Nigeria, with the CAC.
What Is A Registered Company
For any corporate body to legally do business within the shores of Nigeria, such a company must be registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC).
The Corporate Affairs Commission of Nigeria (CAC) is a body created under the Companies and Allied Matters Act of Nigeria, with the mandate to register companies in Nigeria.
Before a corporate body can be successfully registered in Nigeria as a business, it must meet the requirements and guidelines of the Corporate Affairs Commission of Nigeria (CAC).
One of such requirement is that such business must provide the following details:
- Name of the company
- Address of the business
- Shareholders, etc.
Also, such a business must have successfully paid the set fees by the commission.
After a company has been successfully registered in Nigeria, it will be issued a certificate that will the company’s RC Number, the name of the company, etc.
How To Check If A Company Is Registered In Nigeria
The Corporate Affairs Commission of Nigeria (CAC) has launched a public search portal that will enable people to verify the registration status of a business or company, right from the comfort of their homes.
Before now, checking if a company is registered in Nigeria will require you to visit the CAC office, and check their documents for a company. However, things are now done differently and easier at that.
Knowing how to check if a company is registered in Nigeria will help you verify the registration status of a company before doing business with such a company.
Aside from that, if you wish to register a business name in Nigeria, you will have to first verify if that name is available before you can proceed with the registration.
All this can be achieved from the CAC public search portal.
To check the registration of a company, follow the below steps.
- Visit the website of the commission
- Click on the public search engine
- You will be taken to a search record where you will have to enter the name of the company.
- After this, click on the search button and verify you are not a robot
- If the company is a registered company, a result will be shown with the RC Number, Company name, registered address, and date of registration.
- Also, If the company is undergoing registration, the result will also show you details.
- However, if the company has not been registered with the CAC, you will not find any result.
Why register a company in Nigeria?
There are lots of reasons to register your company or business in Nigeria. They include:
- Registering your business in Nigeria with the CAC gives you the legal right to operate such a business in Nigeria. The certificate of incorporation, which is only given to successfully registered business, is a piece of evidence that shows that gives your business a stamp of authenticity.
- The business environment in Nigeria is tough and it is now essential and super necessary to protect your business identity and trademark. Sometimes, newer businesses imitate well-established and easily recognised businesses as a strategy to steal their identity and customers. This can happen to you. Registering your company in Nigeria is a proactive way of eliminating the likelihood of that happening.
- A company registered in Nigeria will have a stronger reputation and enhanced customer loyalty. A lot of corporate customers in Nigeria collaborate or give contracts to only registered companies. It is risky to do business with unregistered companies. You increase your company trust when you include your proof of business registration or registration number on your receipt, invoice or letterhead.
- A registered company in Nigeria can easily obtain loan and credit facilities in Nigeria. Businesses need constant funding to stay afloat, and most times, the fund needs to come from an external source like banks. Your business registration document is one of those documents that will be requested from you. Whether you intend to borrow from banks or lender or even meeting investors and venture capitalists, your business registration document will come in handy.
- Registration of a company in Nigeria guarantees continuity. This means that even when the business owner is unavailable, the business can still remain in existence and continue to develop. Once your business record is with the CAC, it continues to be relevant and recognised.
That’s all on how to check if a company is registered in Nigeria. If you wish to learn how
to register a business in Nigeria, follow this business registration guide.
If you like this article, please share it.