Know when your national ID card is ready for pick up online!!!
The National Electronic Identity Card (e-ID card) is a chip-based card with multiple functions issued to those who successfully enrolled for the National Identification Number-NIN.
The National Identification Number-NIN is a unique number issued to a successful enrolled individual. This number is randomly generated, and it is issued for life. The NIN is used to tie all records about an individual into the National Identity Database and is also used as a valid means of establishing or verifying individual identity.
All citizens and legal residents are eligible to enroll for their National Identification Number (NIN). Upon successful enrolment, a Transaction Slip is issued. The applicant is informed when to come for the collection of his/her NIN. A second slip called the National Identification Number (NIN) Slip is issued when the applicant returns to collect his/her NIN.
The NIN Slip has your 11 Digit Number at the top left corner, second row. This is the slip that contains the NIN and is valid for all legitimate transactions in Nigeria. It usually takes between 1-5 working days for your NIN to be ready after registration.
After an individual has obtained the 11-digit NIN, a card comes next as an additional token. The National Electronic Identity Card (e-ID card) is a chip-based card with multiple functions.
Please note that this card is a token given upon successful enrolment or registration into the National Identity System. You can pick National e-ID Card at the ERC you enrolled in. A text message containing your details will be sent to you.
If you have enrolled for the NIN and are yet to receive your card, you can check your card’s progress. Many persons are complaining that after 5 years or even 6 years of registration, they are yet to get their national ID Card. It is quite unfortunate that the production and issuance of the NIN are quite slow.
However, the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has made it possible for Nigerian citizens who registered for the NIN to check their national identity card status. There is a portal where you can log in and check if your National ID card is ready for collection or has been sent to the activation Centre.
This article is a quick guide on confirming if your National ID card is ready and sent to the activation center and the process involved in activation and collection of the card if it is ready. Some of the functions of the Check If Your National ID Card of this card have been outlined in this article.
How To Check Whether Your National ID Card Is Ready
- Visit the National Identity management commission (NIMC) official website by clicking here.
- When the NIMC Website opens, click the Proceed button.
- Now, fill in your First name, Last name and National Identification Number.
- Hit the ‘check now button.’
- You will be able to see the status of your card.
After verifying your National ID Card’s status and it is ready, you will receive an SMS containing the Batch ID Number from NIMC with instructions on how to go and collect it. To activate and collect your Card, follow the process below.
National ID Card Collection and activation Process
- Walk into the NIMC Card collection Centre and present the text message or email printouts received from NIMC with the batch ID.
- The Card Operations Support Officer will use the batch ID extracted from the SMS you received to sort out your Card.
- After sorting for the Card, the Activation Officer will give you the Card to confirm the Card Envelope’s Names and Addresses.
- After you have confirmed your Name and Address on the envelope, you are advised to open the card envelope, bring out the e-ID Card, and verify that the Name, Date of Birth, and Image on the e-ID Card is your Activation is done.
- If you are satisfied with the information on the e-ID Card, the Activation officer will collect the e-ID Card from you for a Match-on-Card (MOC) Verification.
- After the Match-on-Card (MOC) verification, the Activation Officer will Activate the Electronic Public Key Infrastructure (ePKI), Electronic ID (eID), International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Applet and Europay-MasterCard-Visa (EMV) Applet Using a four-digit password created by you.
- The National e-ID Card will be returned to you after the completion of activation.
Please note that only those who have received an SMS can come forward to collect their Cards as directed in the SMS. No one can collect your National e-ID Card on your behalf.
Functions of the National ID Card
The e-ID card has provisions for 13 applets, out of which five (5) is activated at the point of
collecting the card.
The five (5) active applets are:
- Electronic Identity Information (e-ID)
- EMV Payment
- Verification – Match-on-Card
- Security – Electronic Public Key Infrastructure (ePKI)
- Travel – International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
The remaining eight (8) applets will be implemented in subsequent phases. These are:
- e-Health Application
- e-Pension Application
- e-Voting Application
- e-Taxation Application
- e-Drivers’ License Application
- e-Transport Application
- e-SIM Application
- e-Insurance Application