Do you own a dog? Yes? Then I’m sure you’ve had it make puppy eyes at you while you enjoy treats – let’s say strawberries for example. If you’re not strong-willed, you could surrender all of your treat to it.
But aside from the fact that giving up your treat is just a tad masochistic (that’s a strong word, I know. LOL), is it safe to give your dog just about anything you eat? Because certain foods sit well with you doesn’t mean they will with your dog.
Strawberries: Can Dogs Eat Them?
Absolutely. You can do away with the guilt that eats at you whenever you get selfish, thinking you’re not supposed to share your strawberries with your dog.
Although strawberries are safe to feed your dog with, this should be done in moderation. It has been observed that too much strawberries could lead to diarrhea and/or vomiting in dogs.
Also, before incorporating strawberries into your dog’s diet, it is important that you discuss diet concerns with a veterinarian. This is required as some dog breeds are more susceptible to allergies than others.
Health Benefits Of Strawberries To Your Dog
Apart from being sweet and delicious, strawberries offer good nutritional value. Strawberries are good for your dog’s immune system and also plays a role in good aging qualities. Weight management is also one of the perks of feeding your dog strawberries.
Strawberries contain fiber, omega-3, vitamins (B1, B6, C and K), potassium, iodine, magnesium and folic acid. These nutrients create a synergy to offer good digestion, skin health, coat health and more.
How To Serve Strawberries To Your Dog
If you’re to feed your dog strawberries, you ought to do it the right way. Tips regarding this are given below;
- Feed your dog with fresh, organic strawberries free of preservatives, pesticides or herbicides.
- Ensure to rinse the strawberries thoroughly.
- Cut to small pieces or have them mashed especially if your dog is small to avoid choking.
- Strawberries can be mixed with other foods.
- Avoid adding sugar or spice.
- Remember not to over-feed them to your dog as this may lead to diarrhea and vomiting.
Other Treats You Can Feed Your Dog With
- Other berry types (blue berries and black berries only)
- Frozen bananas
- Apple (remove seeds and core first)
- Water melon (remove seeds)
Treats To Avoid Giving to Your Dog
- Holly berries
- Juniper berries
- Bane berries
- Poke berries
- Canned strawberries