Many people from African and Asian countries dread living in Iceland for fear of being iced by the frosty cold weather. Indeed there is immense cold in Iceland and it’s sometimes unbearable, but there’s more to Iceland than just its icy cold weather. Firstly the country is sparsely populated. Only about 300 people live in Iceland. The official language is Icelandic although English is also widely spoken.
Like a few countries, Iceland is among those who offer a visa lottery program to people from all over the world to work and live in permanently in the country. However, the Icelandic visa lottery doesn’t see the amount of applicant traffic as other popular countries. The reason is not far-fetched – people just don’t fancy the Icelandic visa lottery so much. But this shouldn’t be the case. We’ll be telling you a few reasons why the Icelandic visa lottery is more appealing than meets the eye.
1. Peaceful and happy country
Iceland is the most peaceful, safe and happy country in Europe. In 2016, the country was rated the most peaceful country in the world by Global Peace Index. Icelandic people were named the world’s happiest people in 2012 by the OECD. It goes to show how serene the country is. In fact, Iceland is so safe that it doesn’t have a standing army – just a lightly armed coast guard. Yet, there is barely any report of crime in the country.
2. Available employment
Unlike some European nations where there isn’t much good employment for migrants, the case is not the same for Iceland. There are lots of well-paying jobs for anyone old enough to make a living.
3. Cheaper cost of living
Compared to other European climes, the cost of living in Iceland is relatively cheap. Although most of their raw food is imported, the government ensures its citizen can get it for a subsidized rate.
4. Beautiful places and people
There are lots of beautiful places to visit in Iceland. The country is blessed with a unique landscape and with many active volcanos which are a sight to behold. Don’t worry it won’t erupt while you’re there. Furthermore, Icelandic people are very beautiful and friendly. It won’t take you long to make good buddies to hang out with.
5. Super healthy food and environment
It is believed that Icelandic hotdog is among the best in Europe. Besides the hotdog though, there are numerous interesting meals that appeal to visitors every time they visit the country. Most Icelandic restaurants claim to prepare the most healthy meals in the world. Let’s leave the food – Iceland is the among the only country in the world without a single mosquito. Indeed, mosquitos can’t survive in Iceland because of the chilly weather.
How to apply for Iceland Visa Lottery
Having established the fact that there’s a better life in Iceland, you might’ve become interested in applying for the Icelandic visa lottery. Here’s how to apply.
- The application is done online so the first step is to visit Iceland’s visa lottery portal – www.iceland.visahq.com to apply. But you should only apply if your country is eligible else you’d be wasting your time. Also you must have at least a valid High School certificate or equivalent to apply.
- Choose the appropriate evaluation form for Visa Lottery and proceed to impute your contact information.
- You must carefully fill out your personal profile
- You are required to declare your personal net worth
- You must prove that you can speak English language fluently
- If you have a job offer from Iceland this could fast-track your visa lottery application
- You must state if you have family or friends in Iceland
Once you complete and submit your application, you can then hope for a call based on your contact information you supplied. That’s if your lottery is successful.