Benefits of Citizenship Education – The role of citizenship education in Nigeria has been a great topic of debate. What is the usefulness of citizenship education in Nigeria? Why should citizenship education be included in the syllabus of schools? One undoubted fact is that citizenship education in Nigeria has enormous benefits.
This article explores the role of citizenship education in Nigeria.
What is Citizenship Education in Nigeria?
Citizenship education means the way in which a child is educated, from the formative years of his/her life, so that the child will become a well-informed, positive and transparent citizen who will not only be a participant in making decisions for the society but add value to societal discourse.
Citizenship education in Nigeria includes teaching the child to have a knowledge of the various national institutions and to train the child to recognize that social and human relationship is regulated by the rule of law. Citizenship education hinges on two features which are:
- the individual as an important actor in the civic sphere.
- the political rights of the citizen inherent in the constitution.
Civic education in Nigeria also includes training the child on the usefulness and value of participating effectively in the democratic process in the country.
Objectives of Citizenship Education in Nigeria
Citizenship education in Nigeria does not only include the education of citizens but the teaching children national values in order to make them worthy adults.
The three major objectives of Citizenship education in Nigeria are:
- To educate the young ones in the concept of citizenship and respect for rights.
- To teach the young ones how to make proper judgments in a credible and fair manner.
- To enlighten the young ones in the process of becoming respectable adults that understand their civic duties and responsibilities.
What are the Benefits of Citizenship Education in Nigeria
- Citizenship education in Nigeria will give the youths the ability to understand the values of the communities, which are vital for the growth of society.
- It also enables the youth to appreciate freedom and create a positive plan of action in order to optimize them.
- Citizenship education allows the youth to understand the concept of equality. Equality is the anchor in which effective citizenry stands. Citizenship education covers both political and social equality.
- It allows youths to understand their right and demand accountability from government
- It provides youths with political knowledge, which will help them contribute to the democratic processes.
If you have any questions on this, feel free to drop it at the comment section below and do well to share this using any of our share buttons – Facebook, Twitter or Whatsapp.