Let’s take a look at how the 1979-1983 presidential system of government practised in the Second Republic of Nigeria supports the existence of a multi political party system.
Do you know that the then Electoral Commission of Nigeria, the Federal Electoral Commission (FEDECO), registered only five political parties out of about 52 parties that showed up for the 1979 general elections?
Do you know that that the second Republic in Nigeria was to be ushered in at the cause of the general?
Whatever your answer may be, today we will list out names of the five political parties registered for the 1979 general elections.
List of Political Parties in the Second Republic of Nigeria
1. National Party of Nigeria (NPN) with Alhaji Sheu Shagari as the presidential candidate
2. Unity Party of Nigeria (UPN) having Chief Obafemi Awolowo as the presidential candidate
3. Nigeria People’s Party (NPP) with Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe as the presidential candidate
4. Great Nigeria People’s Party (GNPP) with Alhaji Ibrahim Waziri as the presidential candidate
5. People’s Redemption Party (PRP) having Mallam Aminu Kano as the presidential candidate.
The above listed political parties were the parties that contested in the 1979 general elections in Nigeria.
Subsequentially, FEDECO registered the Nigeria Advance Party (NAP), led by a Lagos based lawyer, Mr Tunji Braithwaite in the year 1982, making six political parties that contested in the 1983 general elections.
It’s however important that you note the following;
The 1979 elections and 1983 elections were won by the National Party of Nigeria (NPN) and that led to the 1983 General Election Crises and later to the military intervention of December 31, 1983.
As of the time this publication was made, I believe that there are some people out there who are looking for this piece of information. So you can help them find it by sharing with them on Facebook, Twitter, or WhatsApp with just a click on any of your preferred share buttons below.
Thanks for reading contents awajis.com, Kindly bookmark our site for your daily updates.